Skip to Content

One year later, vigil held to honor victims of Davis Mortuary in Pueblo

PUEBLO, Colo. (KRDO) - One year ago, KRDO13 Investigates broke the news that 24 hidden bodies had been discovered during a routine funeral home inspection at Davis Mortuary. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation said some of the bodies had been awaiting cremation for 15 years.

One year later, the men accused of the crimes have been arrested, charged, and are now awaiting trial. However, that hasn't changed much for the families who learned their deceased loved ones were sitting in that funeral home for years.

READ MORE: One year after 24 bodies found at Davis Mortuary

At 6:30 p.m., a small crowd gathered on Broadway Avenue in front of the now-abandoned building.

"The wound was there 13 years ago. And for this to happen again, you know, you know, sir, it bothers me and my family and friends, but not as bad as it does my daughter," John Cordova was one in the crowd. Cordova tells KRDO13 he attended the vigil for his baby granddaughter who was taken to Davis Mortuary more than a decade ago, only for her to be found last fall by CBI.

At the vigil, Cordova and others sang a prayer for his granddaughter and the other she was found with.

"What [the prayer song] signifies is that my granddaughter finally made it to where she's supposed to be, along with the rest of the people that were here, you know, and all we do is pray that they are at peace now," Cordova said.

Cordova said he hopes that by August 21, 2027, both Cotters are behind bars.

Brian and Chris Cotter are set for their next court appearance on Sept. 3.

Stay up to date with the latest local news, sports, and investigations by downloading the KRDO13 app. Click here to download it from the Apple App Store. Android users can download it from Google Play here.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Michael Logerwell

Michael Logerwell is a weekend anchor and member of the KRDO13 Investigates team. Learn more about him here.

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.