Skip to Content

Wildfire sparked by rats; put out quickly by fire crews

WMFR

LITTLETON, Colo. (KRDO) -- West Metro and South Metro Fire Rescue (WMFR) crews responded to a wildfire last night in Waterton Canyon.

WMFR says that the fire burned about half an acre near the Strontia Springs Dam on a steep and rugged slope. Crews were able to quickly slow the fire's progress, thanks in part- to high humidity overnight.

According to WMFR, the fire was caused by rodents chewing on wires in an electric box which shorted out the system, causing arcing and sparking, igniting the dry grass.

Believe it or not, it is not all that uncommon for animals to be involved in starting a fire.

According to the National Fire Protections Association, pets or wild animals take part in starting around 750 accidental home fires per year. The accidents can involve cooking equipment, fireplaces and chimneys, space heaters, lamps, bulbs, wiring, and candles.

American Humane has a list of pet fire safety tips here. The list includes preparing for a fire, what to do during a fire, and how to prevent a fire.

Article Topic Follows: News
Author Profile Photo

Emily Arseneau

Emily is a Digital Content Producer for KRDO. Learn more about her here.

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content