PUEBLO, Colo. (KRDO) - Investigators believe exploding propane tanks at a homeless camp triggered a fire in Pueblo.
A Pueblo police officer says she heard two explosions near 4th St. and Chester Ave., shortly before 3 a.m. Thursday. She requested assistance then began to investigate. She found a homeless camp along Fountain Creek, engulfed in flames, and believes the explosions were triggered by miniature propane tanks.
“One of the sources of heat in these unauthorized camps is portable propane tanks that you can get at most of the general stores," said Erik Duran, a fire inspector with the Pueblo Fire Department. "The biggest problem with these camps is they really have no way of disposing of them properly. These empty or partially empty tanks are a great danger to whatever areas they are in.”
Inspectors say they found six miniature propane tanks scattered across the camp site after they put the flames out.
Much of the camp was consumed before crews could contain the fire. Investigators believe the occupants fled the scene. No injuries were reported.