COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The Colorado Department of Public Health is now investigating if any laws were broken during renovation work at multiple Colorado Springs apartment buildings that tested positive for asbestos.
We initially reported that residents were ordered to evacuate from two properties that had tested positive for asbestos. We learned Tuesday that five more properties are now "areas of interest" in the investigation, bringing the total to seven. It's unclear if residents from the additional five properties have been asked to evacuate.
The following properties -- all owned by Denver-based Slipstream Properties -- are being investigated by the CDPH.
- 2818 Airport - Thrive at Slopeside (Previously Timbers)
- 1030 Chelton - Thrive at Rockledge (Previously Cedar Creek)
- 2713 Arlington - Thrive at Elevation (Previously El Vecino)
- 3815 Lakehurst - Thrive at the Pointe (Previously South Point)
- 4975 El Camino - North 49 Apartments (Previously New Horizon)
- 720 Chapman - Thrive at Park’s Edge (Previously Pine Creek) evacuation ordered.
- 260 N Murray - Thrive at the Incline (Previously Shannon Glen) evacuation ordered.
The Colorado Department of Public Health told us in a statement that they are now looking into the situation to see if any laws were broken during renovations.
CDPH tells us that they received allegations of improper renovation work at the Thrive at Park's Edge apartments.
They've since ordered asbestos testing at the complexes.
The following is a statement from CDPH about the investigation:
The department is currently investigating whether residents at these facilities were exposed to asbestos and whether any state laws were broken during the renovation work. And if laws were broken, we will pursue appropriate action. We ordered asbestos testing at the complexes, and we are closely monitoring the work being conducted by private asbestos consultants and/or contractors.
The department urges any residents of these complexes with questions or concerns about potential medical effects of asbestos exposure to speak with their medical provider. Residents should follow whatever recommendations or instructions their medical providers offer.