Skip to Content

No charges will be filed in Caon City High School sexting scandal

District Attorney Thom LeDoux says no charges will be filed in the Caon City High School sexting scandal.

LeDoux announced the decision at a news conference on Wednesday (12/9/15.)

LeDoux had previously said that some students could have faced charges that would require them to register as sex offenders. But he also held out the possibility no one would be charged.

At Wednesday’s news conference, LeDoux said that 351 questionable photos were found on three phones that were analyzed. He said 106 students were identified in the photos.

LeDoux also stressed that the decision not to file charges does not mean that his office condones this behavior, or that it does not mean that his office will not pursue charges in future cases.

As for why charges were not filed, LeDoux said the aggravating factors for filing charges were not met in any of the cases investigated. He says all indications are that the students involved shared the photos without understanding the seriousness of the behavior or thinking about the potential consequences. He said there was no evidence of intimidation, bullying or malicious intent on anyone’s part.

LeDoux said that any photos that remain on the phones of students or parents should have already been deleted. He said charges are likely against anyone who fails to delete the photos, if his office finds out about it.

An unspecified number of Caon City High School students were suspended in November in the case, and the high school’s football team forfeited its last game of the season because players were involved.

Superintendent George Welsh, who also spoke at the news conference, said that additional suspensions are possible. Welsh also said that no one had been expelled over the controversy.

The 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office will mail letters to any students who are suspected of having participated in sharing of the photos.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

KRDO News

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.