Update: Man who cut dog with sword will not face charges
A dog that was struck in the face with a sword is back with his owner.
Police said Tuesday that following a review of the case, it has been decided that charges will not be filed.
The owner of “Bob” the dog was issued a verbal warning for violating the city’s leash law and for not keeping the dog under control.
The incident happened in the 400 block of Royal Gorge Boulevard shortly after 10 a.m. Saturday.
Caon City police received a call from a man who said he had been cornered by a growling pit bull that was off a leash.
“He had him corned and was growling at him, and he couldn’t get him to back away, so he struck him twice with his sword,” Capt. Jim Cox said.
The man told officers that he had to defend himself, so he hit the dog twice on the head with a sword that he carries.
“Bob” suffered severe cuts to his head.
“Half his face was sliced,” said Richard Grandfield, the dog’s owner. “It looks like he’s going to live. He’s going to be alright.”
Police said the man who cut the dog told officers that the injured dog does not like him or his dog very well. Grandfield said his dog is not aggressive.
“Bob does not hurt nobody. He’s always been the friendliest dog there is,” he said.
“I don’t like to see someone use that level of force against any animal, but unfortunately we don’t want to see people being bitten, either,” Cox said.
