Skip to Content

Sharky’s Bar owner surrenders liquor license

A bar considered a “thorn” and “problem” by Pueblo police is closed.

Sharky’s Bar owner Christopher Rodriguez voluntarily surrendered his liquor license Wednesday morning to the Pueblo Liquor and Beer Licensing Board.

The board voted 3 to 2 to accept Rodriguez’s license revocation. Board members Tom Rose and Don DiFatta voted against it.

“For whatever reason, this bar has been kind of a thorn on the side of the police department. A lot of calls for service there. A lot of fights,” said Sgt. James Olonia.

According to a stipulation signed by Rodriguez, he failed to report a series of disturbances to police as required by municipal code. On Aug. 31, 2014, bartender Claudio Baca became intoxicated and punched a customer. The stipulation states that Baca also pulled out a knife and threatened customers and employees.

Several hours later, Baca got into a fight with his girlfriend outside the bar. Rodriguez and the bar’s bouncer, Michael Reed, “followed Mr. Baca to the parking lot and blocked him from following his girlfriend back into the bar,” according to the stipulation.

Rodriguez told Reed to end the fight by “giving him a cut throat action,” the stipulation states. Reed then punched Baca in the face. Afterward, Rodriguez dropped Baca off at his mother’s house, where she later found him dead.

Baca’s sister, Clara Ybarra, told KRDO NewsChannel 13 she’s upset that Rodriguez never called police to report that her brother was initiating fights at the bar, as required by law.

“He didn’t deserve to leave in that manner. He had unfinished business here,” Ybarra said.

Since Rodriguez voluntarily surrendered his license, he is still eligible to apply for another liquor license but Assistant City Attorney Carla Sikes said the chance of that happening is “unlikely.”

Ybarra wants charges filed against Rodriguez and Reed, but 10th Judicial District Attorney Jeff Chostner said charges will not be filed.

“This was a very difficult case to decide, but based on the information we had, we decided not to prosecute,” Chostner said.

Baca’s death was not the only incident that led Rodriguez to surrender his license. According to the stipulation, on March 1 a 19-year-old woman was assaulted across the street from Sharky’s Bar. Police said she had been drinking at the bar for several hours prior to the assault, and had been a customer at the bar for about one month before the incident.

Rodriguez and his attorney, Tony Perko, declined a request to be interviewed. All liquor board members also declined to be interviewed.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

KRDO News

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.