Skip to Content

Sex Assault Suspect Identified As Louisiana Fugitive

Colorado Springs Police on Thursday named Leonard Palmer, 23, as a suspect in a sexual assault on a child last month, after his DNA profile matched evidence from the victim.

Police said the victim’s family members have been notified and they say they are relieved.

“I think it’s fantastic that the evidence got him,” said Rowland Bryan, who lives near the crime scene. “I think people still are on edge. Kids didn’t come out on Halloween. Let’s get him back here and get some justice done for that little girl.”

The crime happened Oct. 25 in the 400 block of East Brookside Street. Police said a 12-year-old girl was walking to her school bus stop when she was grabbed by a stranger, and that she struggled to free herself but was physically and sexually assaulted.

In a Thursday evening news conference, Police Sgt. Mike Velasquez of CSPD announced that Palmer, a fugitive from the West Carroll Parish Detention Center in Epps, La., is the prime suspect in the assault.

Police said Palmer was serving time for burglary, forgery and a previous escape attempt in Louisiana when he arrived in Colorado Springs. The suspect’s description and composite sketch of the matched Palmer, police said, and an officer made the connection.

“Without him letting us know right away, Palmer wouldn’t have been on our radar nearly as fast — or maybe not ever,” said Velasquez.

Palmer was arrested the night of the assault, police said, after he had avoided capture the day before. Palmer currently is in custody in Louisiana. Police did not specify when Palmer will be extradited to Colorado.

Authorities said a second Louisiana fugitive, Charles Mangrum, was arrested the day before Palmer’s arrest. Mangrum had been doing time for “unlawful carnal knowledge” of a minor.

Parker and Mangrum were discovered missing during a head count. Authorities found a breached fence in the rear of the prison and believe that is how they escaped, possibly with the help of two women. Parker also escaped in June 2010, authorities said, when a delivery gate was left open while he was awaiting transfer to another facility.

Both men have been incarcerated since 2009.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

KRDO News

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.