Skip to Content

UPDATE: Coach Accused Of Abuse No Longer Works At ArtSports

TARGET 13 Investigates has confirmed that Doug Boger, a gymnastics coach banned by USA Gymnastics over allegations of physical and sexual assault, is no longer employed at ArtSports World in Colorado Springs.

Boger had been the assistant head coach at ArtSports for months, even though his name was put on USA Gymnastics “Permanently Ineligible Members” list in June of 2010. USA Gymnastics is the nation’s sole governing body for the sport, but some gyms, including ArtSports, are not members and face no penalties for hiring those on the list.

On Wednesday, the owner of ArtSports, Michael Zapp, said in a statement that Boger would no longer be working at the gym because of the allegations against him.

Boger, who was a U.S. national team coach, has never been convicted of misconduct, but a USA Gymnastics investigation into accusations from his former gymnasts led to his being banned. Ten of Boger’s former gymnasts from the 1970s and 80s in California are now speaking publicly about alleged physical and sexual abuse.

“There was sexual abuse prevalent from the time I was 9,” said Charmaine Carnes, who was coached by Boger for years.

Carnes said she remembers Boger having sex with her once when she was 11 or 12. She said Boger also physically hurt her, kicking her in in the stomach and strangling her, for example. TARGET 13 asked why she didn’t come forward with the allegations back then.

“I don’t think any of us would have felt safe or mentally able,” said Carnes. “Plus, there was the added element that we wanted to please him so much.”

Julie Whitman, another former gymnast who alleges abuse, said the group decided to speak publicly when they found out Boger was still coaching.

“We were initially relieved when USA Gymnastics placed Doug on the permanently ineligible list in June of 2010,” said Whitman in an email. “In our minds, we thought this meant he would never coach again. You can only imagine our shock and disgust when we discovered Doug had moved gyms and was now coaching in Colorado Springs at a non-member club.”

When TARGET 13 talked to Zapp on Sunday, he said he believed the allegations against Boger were false, and that the women alleging abuse may be angry with Boger because their gymnastics careers didn’t turn out as they wanted. He wondered why the women waited decades to speak.

“This happens to a lot of coaches. People gang up on their coaches because they thought they could have had a career,” said Zapp. “I know there are a number of people on the (USAG ineligible) list that have no conviction, like Doug Boger.”

Zapp has faced his own troubles. In 1987 he was convicted of second-degree sex abuse after a 12-year-old girl he was coaching in Oregon said he inappropriately touched her breasts. It’s something Zapp said never happened.

“You don’t have to have much anymore for something like this, for any accusation, to cause you to go through this horrible experience,” said Zapp.

He said he’s honest with parents about his and Boger’s pasts, and even held a meeting recently to discuss the allegations.

“When people ask me, I’m right upfront about it,” said Zapp.

He invited TARGET 13 to see the gym Sunday night, explaining he had designed it for parents to be able to see exactly what’s going on at all times, and also equipped it with more than a dozen cameras.

“The gym is set up quite simply so you can stand just about anywhere in the building and see what’s going on on the whole floor,” said Bill Baruth, recreational gymnastics director at ArtSports.

Boger has denied the accusations against him. TARGET 13 has continued to try to reach him for further comment.

The group of women accusing Boger said their focus now to to close the loophole that allowed Boger, and others coaches banned by USAG, to continue to work with kids.

“We would like to see all gyms that send athletes to USAG sanctioned competitions be required to be a ?member club,” ” said Whitman.

Officials with USAG confirmed to TARGET 13 that discussions are under way.

On Monday, Michael Zapp sent this email to ArtSports parents.

To the Artsports community,

Artsports has always strived to provide a safe and positive environment for its athletes. As some of you may know by now, the local media is sensationalizing allegations made about 2 years ago by a group of athletes coached by Doug Boger over 30 years ago. Doug faced these same allegations from this same group 32 years ago in a trial by jury, at which time he was totally exonerated of all charges. The same group that failed to convict him 32 years ago contacted the president of the USAG in 2009 to try to force Doug out of his coaching profession. As a result, the USAG placed Doug on their “Do not hire” list at that time.

Both the USAG and Artsports ran background checks on Doug before hiring him, and Doug has no criminal record. By law, he has every right to work. As we’ve experienced, he is one of the most positive and skilled coaches at Artsports. He expects and brings out the best in each athlete. He has certainly energized our team and improved our athletes, and his coaching style compliments the rest of our coaching staff.

I understand the nature of these allegations. I myself was convicted of a second degree misdemeanor — inappropriate touching of the breast. The “victim” was a 62 pound 11-year old that had a crush on her coach. She imagined I was trying to touch her while spotting a full-twisting back flip. She confided in a friend, and the story soon got around to parents who reported the incident. I have always maintained my innocence. In my 45 years of coaching, I have never before or since been accused of any inappropriate behavior with a child.

It appears the media will continue to sensationalize Doug’s history. However, Artsports is strongly behind Doug and will do all it can to quell the mob mentality being stirred up by the media. Artsports has always preferred the strength of facts over allegations, which is what our country’s judicial system is supposed to be based upon.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to write or call me.

Best regards,

Mike Zapp

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

KRDO News

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KRDO NewsChannel 13 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.