COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- Sunday morning at around 10:30 am, the Colorado Springs Fire Department responded to a fire at 736 E. Rio Grande Street. CSFD reported heavy smoke and fire from the front of the home, according to Twitter.
CSFD tells KRDO that 25 firefighters responded to the home in downtown Colorado Springs. The fire was contained and under control at around 10:50 am, twenty minutes after arriving.
There are no reported injuries, although one passerby did enter the building to see if everyone was okay. That person was treated on scene for minor smoke inhalation.
The Colorado Springs Fire Department says this is a good reminder that if you do see a fire, call 911 and leave it to the professionals. This way, trained firefighters with the proper gear can handle the situation for your safety.
The cause of the fire was due to unattended cooking that was left on the stove.
According to the Colorado Springs Fire Department, cooking is the number one cause of home fires and home injuries, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Forgetting you are cooking is the top reason for kitchen fires.
- Set a timer or alarm to remind you that there is something cooking.
- Never put water on a grease fire. Cover the pan with a lid and turn off the stove.
- If there is a fire in your oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Keep anything that can catch fire such as curtains, oven mitts, wooden utensils, and food packaging away from your stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.